A few photos from a spin out to see juniper along Fleam Dyke on the Pashley Guv'nor

The Pashley Guv'nor at Mutlow Hill
This morning, for what reason I know not, I got it into my head and heart to go and see how the only examples in East Anglia of our native juniper bushes, Juniperus communis, were fairing on the stretch of Fleam Dyke between Mutlow Hill and Balsham. I got to Mutlow Hill at about 1pm and stopped to have my lunch there in the company of Lucretius' poem De Rerum Natura, and then set off across the A11 to the south-eastern stretch of the dyke. I was pleased to see the juniper bushes flourishing and full of berries and, all along the way in the hot, early autumn sun and in the shade of the trees I found myself (perhaps inevitably) singing to myself Donovan's lovely song Jeniffer Juniper which, if you don't know it, you can find at this link.

When I got home in the early evening and began to put this post together it seemed entirely appropriate to compose it with Donovan's LP The Hurdy Gurdy Man playing and a gin and tonic in my hand!

Along the way I took a few photos and include them here for your pleasure.

All taken with a Fuji X100F. Just click on a photo to enlarge it.


One of the juniper bushes
Another juniper bush










Wadlow Wind Farm taken from the Dyke



Wadlow Wind Farm taken from the Dyke

Dungate Farm on the Dyke

Comments

Popular Posts