Revisiting Sacred Economics: “We've all been given a gift, a gift of life. What we do with our lives is our gift back.”

Christ's Pieces in the late Friday evening sun
Greetings once again from Emmanuel Road after a month spent in the heart of London. As always I trust that this finds you well (enough) as this challenging event continues to unfold.

As you already know from an earlier piece written for you during this lockdown, I think this event has brought some further, significant challenges to the maintenance of any kind of supernaturalist belief and it has left me convinced more than ever that only a fully immanent, naturalist and materialist religion is worth any salt, and it is certainly the only one I as your minister can from now on bring before you for consideration. 

But, in addition to this obviously theological/philosophical matter, the event has also clearly brought a challenge to the continuance of our former, prevailing and highly destructive global economic model. This came up during some correspondence with two members of the congregation who, entirely unprompted by me, brought into play mention of Charles Eisenstein. I was very pleased to hear his name mentioned once again because five years ago I made more than a few attempts to introduce some of Eisenstein's key ideas into our community's conversation and you can read the major address I wrote in connection with that at the following link:

Sacred Economics: “We've all been given a gift, a gift of life. What we do with our lives is our gift back.”

To my mind this current event through which we are all travelling makes Eisenstein's ideas even more prescient and powerful than before so it seems only right and proper to bring him before you all once again. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on his work at some point in the near future perhaps even in the comments below this blog. I realise that some (perhaps most of you) won't really fancy reading my address above but, at the very least, can I ask you to consider watching Eisenstein's short, twelve and a half minute long introduction to Sacred Economics.

I look forward to speaking with some of you during the week.

With the warmest of wishes as always,

Andrew



Comments