Some Jazz Photos

My bass awaiting the start of the session . . .
When I'm in "photographer mode" I'm mostly out in the countryside, either on foot or on my bicycle. On these occasions I've been consciously aware that I going to take photos and have, naturally, taken care to pack a camera. However, with the advent of the iPad, I find I now have a camera in my bag all the time. (As a musician I use the iPad to run a couple of apps that are mighty useful to rhythm section players like myself. They are iRealBook and iGigBook.)

It's taken me a long while to realise that this means I am able to take a few shots during recording sessions and rehearsals. I haven't taken many so far simply because I keep forgetting that it's possible.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, there is great tradition of jazz photography and, as a teenager, my discovery of the music via records was immeasurably added to by the photographs of people like Herman Leonard. The music AND the pictures caught my soul and there was no going back.

I'm no Herman Leonard but hey, what the hell, taking the dozen photos below brought me real pleasure and I hope that, in a small way, they'll bring you a little pleasure too.

The piano awaits too . . .
Russ Morgan
Russ Morgan
Kevin Flanagan
Chris Ingham plays piano while Kevin Flanagan looks on
Russ Morgan's music stand 
Paul Higgs
Kevin Flanagan
Mark Crooks
Mark Crooks
Mark Crooks
Alan Barnes before the gig begins
L. to r., Joanna Eden, Alan Barnes and Chris Ingham

Comments

Popular Posts