Imaoka Shin’ichirō-sensei’s (1881-1988) “My Principles of Living (revised)” (1973), two, important, associated essays, and one the last iterations of his “Principles of Living” (1981)

Imaoka Shin’ichirō-sensei’s (1881-1988) “My Principles of Living (revised)” (1973) and two, important, associated essays

—o0o— 

Regarding “My Principles of Living (revised)” [私の生活信条(訂)] (August 1973)

“My Principles of Living” (私の生活信条) consisting of seven articles was established in February of the 40th year of Showa (1965) as my personal statement of faith. Over time, and with the support and feedback from the members of Tokyo Kiitsu Kyokai [Tokyo Unitarian Church] and others, it became a tradition collectively to recite these articles together during its Sunday gatherings.

However, later on, I felt the need to declare faith in nature as the foundational source of human existence and life. Therefore, a new article has been added after the fourth article in the revised version below, resulting in a total of eight articles.

The freedom of free religion primarily signifies individual internal freedom, and it deeply respects this freedom. Therefore, this statement of faith is not binding on the members in any way, but I would be happy if each one of you were to use it as a reference in helping you to formulate your own principles of living. In this sense, I humbly request your thoughtful consideration and critique, not only of the new fifth article, but of all the articles.


“My Principles of Living (revised)” [私の生活信条(訂)] (August 1973)

  1. I have faith (信ずるshinzuru) in myself. I recognize my own subjectivity and creativity and feel the worth of living in life ( 生きがい ikigai). Subjectivity and creativity can be rephrased as personality, divinity, and Buddha-nature.


  1. I have faith in my neighbour (隣人 rin-jin). The neighbour is oneself as a neighbour. If I have faith in myself, I inevitably have faith in my neighbour.


  1. I have faith in a cooperative society (共同社会 kyōdō shakai). Both oneself and a neighbour, while each possessing a unique personality, are not things that exist in isolation. Because of this uniqueness, a true interdependence, true solidarity, and true human love are established, and therein a cooperative society is realized.


  1. I have faith in the trinity of self, neighbour, and cooperative society. The self, neighbour, and cooperative society, while each having a unique personality, are entirely one. Therefore, there’s no differentiation of precedence or superiority/inferiority between them, and one always contains the other.


  1. I have faith in the unity of life and nature. Life, which constitutes the trinity of self, neighbour, and cooperative society, further unites with all things in the universe. [What Imaoka-sensei later called a universal cooperative society.— see below in the last essay and one of the last iterations of his principles.]


  1. I have faith in the church. The church is the prototype/archetype (原型 genkei) and driving force of the cooperative society. I can only be myself by being a member of the church.


  1. I have faith in a specific religion. In other words, I am a member of the Tokyo Kiitsu Kyokai (帰一協会) [often translated as the Tokyo Unitarian Church]. However, a specific religion (including the Tokyo Kiitsu Kyokai) neither monopolizes religious truth nor is it the ultimate embodiment of it.


  1. I have faith in jiyū shūkyō (自由宗教) [free-religion or a creative, free-spirituality]. While having faith in a specific religion, the endless pursuit and improvement towards universal and ultimate truth is the core of religious life. Such a dynamic religion is called jiyū shūkyō.


(August, Showa 48, 1973, “Free Religion”)

—o0o— 

 

My Journey of Faith – NHK TV Broadcast Summary (1974)


Interviewer: Wakimoto Tsuneya (脇本平也), Professor at the University of Tokyo.


[Reading] “My Principles of Living (revised)” [私の生活信条(訂)]:


I have faith in myself.

I have faith in my neighbour.

I have faith in a cooperative society.

I have faith in the unity of self, neighbour, and cooperative society.

I have faith in the oneness of life and nature.

I have faith in the church.

I have faith in specific religions.

I have faith in free religion.


(Wakimoto) This is the eight-point statement of faith of Imaoka-sensei (今岡先生), but we will inquire about this in detail later. Sensei, you are 98 years old, and first, I would like to ask about your nearly century-long journey of seeking before you arrived at this faith, and then I would like you to explain the meaning of these faith principles in that context. Sensei, you were born in September of Meiji 14 (1881) in Shimane Prefecture. What kind of religious upbringing did you have?


(Imaoka) I came from a very devout Pure Land Buddhist family, and from a young age, I had to participate in morning rituals with my parents in front of the Buddhist altar, or I wouldn’t be allowed to eat. I memorized the Shinshū Nembutsu: (真宗念仏) and Gobunsho (お勤め Rennyo’s Letters), even though I didn’t understand their meanings.  It was entirely external, not a conscious faith. My first conscious faith experience was when I received baptism in Christianity in my fourth year at Matsue Middle School (松江中学校). However, this was because I wanted to study English and joined an English class taught by a British pastor. While teaching conversation, the topic of Christ naturally came up, and I gradually became familiar with Christianity. When I was encouraged to join I did so without much thought. At that time, being a Christian in rural areas was seen as treasonous, so my parents were very angry and sad. It even led to the question of disownment. However, I didn’t back down, so you could say it was a conscious conversion.


(Wakimoto) What kind of Christianity was it?


(Imaoka) It was the Anglican Church of England, but I believed in it almost uncritically, as I was taught. However, the central theme was a sense of guilt, the idea that when you do something wrong, the anguish of conscience is the anger of God. I believed that through faith in Christ, you could be forgiven and saved.


(Wakimoto) So, your faith was centred on ethical issues. After that, you went through Kumamoto Fifth Higher School (熊本の五高) and entered the philosophy department at the University of Tokyo, specializing in religious studies. In that regard, you are my senior, and you received guidance from the renowned Professor Anesaki (姉崎教授). What kind of influence did you receive?


(Imaoka) Anesaki-sensei’s first lecture on religious studies was on mysticism, and it was very interesting. Although he was a Buddhist, he was well-informed about Christianity, and he often said, “I am a Buddhist, and that’s why I am a Christian, and I am a Christian, and that’s why I am a Buddhist.” In other words, he ultimately saw them as one. That’s how I began to see Buddhism with new eyes.


(Wakimoto) Until then, you were primarily focused on Christianity, but under Anesaki-sensei’s guidance, your mind expanded, and the idea that all religions are fundamentally and ultimately one, a free religious concept (自由宗教的な考え), began to take root in your mind around that time. By the way, you mentioned mysticism earlier. What was that about?


(Imaoka) When we talk about mysticism, there are various meanings and types, ranging from superstitious beliefs to philosophical concepts. However, Anesaki-sensei’s mysticism was of an academic and philosophical nature. It was about profound religious experiences and contemplation, similar to the likes of [Meister] Eckhart.


(Wakimoto) So, when you mention mysticism, it’s not about so-called miraculous and inexplicable beliefs, but rather about deep religious experiences such as encountering God or achieving unity with the Absolute.


(Imaoka) That’s right. The emphasis of Anesaki-sensei’s lectures was indeed on those aspects, and I was deeply influenced in that regard as well.


(Wakimoto) In such a mystical perspective, because it prioritizes one’s direct personal experiences, the self becomes the focus, right?


(Imaoka) That’s correct. Rather than worshiping God outwardly, you hold God within yourself. God and the self become one. That’s why the self becomes the central issue. Speaking of encounters with God and the unity of God and man, wasn’t there the famous Tsunashima Ryōsen’s (綱島梁川) “Experiment of Seeing God” (見神の実験) during that time?


(Imaoka) Yes, it was Meiji 37 (1904), right when I was attending lectures on mysticism. I read the “Experiment of Seeing God” in the magazine “Shinjin” (新人) and was deeply moved, realizing that there were real examples like Eckhart in Anesaki-sensei’s lectures. I specifically visited Tsunashima-sensei (綱島先生) on his sickbed to receive guidance.


(Wakimoto) Was that a Christian thing?


(Imaoka) Mostly, I suppose. Ryōsen (梁川) was baptized when he was young. However, he soon became sceptical of Christianity and distanced himself from the church, dedicating himself to literary criticism and ethics research. After contracting a terminal illness, he began to immerse himself in religious contemplation, eventually having an experience of seeing God. It wasn’t something you could simply label as Christianity or Buddhism. It transcended those, a vast and profound experience, not at all occult-like, but a vivid experience of a mysterious fusion between God, as the deep reality of the universe, and oneself.


(Wakimoto) After such studies, once you graduated from university . . .


(Imaoka) After leaving university, I became a pastor in Kobe. However, my doubts about Christianity grew, and after three years, I returned to Tokyo. Just then, an assistant system was established in the university’s religious studies department, and thanks to Anesaki-sensei, I became the first assistant.


(Wakimoto) Is that so? I also served as an assistant after the war, so in that regard, I’m your junior. I’ve heard that you went on to study at Harvard University in America . . .


(Imaoka) That was because Professor Anesaki was visiting Harvard as an exchange professor, and I went there to become his assistant. While assisting him, I was allowed to enrol in the university’s divinity school.


(Wakimoto) I’ve heard that the “New Theology” (新神学) was popular at Harvard at that time . . .


(Imaoka) Not just at Harvard, but at that time, liberal “New Theology” was gaining popularity in England, Germany, and other places. However, at Harvard it was Unitarian. While Unitarianism is a form of Christianity, it opposes the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity (the belief in God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit as three entities, yet one in essence [三位一体論]), asserting that God is singular (Unity [ユニティ]) and that Christ is not divine but human. Moreover, it had a rationalist inclination, not believing in the various miracles mentioned in the Bible.


(Wakimoto) With such studies, you gradually walked the path of modern free religion. Were there others who particularly influenced you? Could you please share?


(Imaoka) While I was a pastor in Kobe, I began to doubt orthodox Christianity and lost confidence in my pastoral work. It was during this time that I encountered Nishida Tenkō-san (西田天香さん). It was before he established Ittōen (一灯園), but he was truly Buddhist and Zen-like. When I was exposed to his way of life and philosophy, he seemed to live in a world entirely different from the religious people I had seen before. But he was also influenced by Christianity. For example, he literally practised the teachings of the Sermon on the Mount: “Take no thought for the morrow . . .” meaning, don’t worry about daily issues, but first seek the righteousness of God’s kingdom. Seeing that made me realize the uncertainty of my own life, and that’s when I decided to leave my pastoral duties.


(Wakimoto) I see. Did Tenkō-san formally practise Zen?


(Imaoka) I’m not sure to what extent, but after the collapse of his development project in Hokkaido (北海道), when he was troubled about how to overcome the profit-driven competition of modern society and human selfishness, it seems he had a significant experience with zazen (坐禅).


(Wakimoto) Have you ever practised zazen?


(Imaoka) I haven’t. However, on Tenkō-san’s recommendation, I practised the Okada-style method of Quiet Sitting (Seiza) meditation (岡田式静座法).  I borrowed the Hongyo-ji (本行寺) temple in Nippori (日暮里) and sat every morning from six to seven. From the end of the Meiji [明治] period until Okada-sensei passed away in Taishō 9 (1920), I attended devotedly for about ten years. There was nothing but simply sitting, but that was, indeed, a kind of Zen, wasn’t it? It has been a rather important experience in my life, one that I’ve continued to practice to this day. It is my only training and also a method for mental and physical health.


(Wakimoto) It seems you also have a deep knowledge of Japanese Shinto.


(Imaoka) That comes from my encounter with a journalist from America named [Joseph Warren Teets] Mason, who was passionate about studying Japan, particularly Shintoism. He first came to Japan in Shōwa 7 (1932). I was asked by the Director of the Religious Affairs Bureau of the Ministry of Education (文部省宗教局), Shūichi Shimomura-shi (下村寿一氏), to act as [Mason’s] interpreter and help with [his] research. As we got to know each other, he turned out to be a delightful man, and we quickly became close friends. He came to Japan twice more, staying for extended periods, and once we spent a month touring and researching major shrines throughout the country. He published two books on Shintoism, which I translated and published in Japanese. We remained close friends for about ten years until he passed away in New York in Shōwa 15 (1940). He loved Japan, and as requested in his will, he’s buried in the Tama Cemetery (多摩霊園) in Tokyo. He asserted that Shintoism was inherently pacifist and was deeply saddened by the actions of the right-wing movements and military at that time. Thanks to him, I learned a great deal, but it felt like I was being taught about Japan by a foreigner.


(Wakimoto) The more I inquire, it appears that various religions reside within you, Sensei, and as a result, a “free religion” emerged. What is the fundamental idea behind this free religion?


(Imaoka) Every human possesses a religious spirit. I believe that religious desires are fundamental and universal to human nature. This is the fundamental idea. Each religion differs from the others, but they are all based on this fundamental religious spirit. They manifest it in different forms due to various historical and environmental conditions. While each has its own significance and needs to be distinguished, the essence is singular. We focus on this singular essence and value it.


(Wakimoto) Thus, while there are various religions, there’s fundamentally a common and universal essence, something that can be called “religion itself.” And as long as one is human, everyone inherently possesses this, right? This became the first principle of the statement of faith recited earlier as “I have faith in myself,” didn’t it?


(Imaoka) Exactly. Even if there is a deity somewhere, rather than relying and clinging to that, we should believe in our own nature and actualize it. Firstly, it’s about self-establishment. The foundation of personal dignity probably stems from this belief.


(Wakimoto) Regarding the principle “I have faith in myself,” you have added a note saying, “I recognize my own subjectivity and creativity and feel the worth of living in life (生きがい ikigai). Subjectivity and creativity can be rephrased as personality, divinity, and Buddha-nature.” I believe this is in line with concepts like all sentient beings possess Buddha-nature in Buddhism, or humans are children of God in Christianity. So, to have faith in oneself is to have faith in the sacred within oneself, isn’t it?


(Imaoka) That’s right. Generally, religions consider humans as children of sin and deny the self. It is common to preach notions such as selflessness or egolessness. What I’m saying might seem contradictory, but in a modern age where it is proclaimed that “God is dead” (Nietzsche) and atheistic tendencies are strengthening, I argue that even without God, there exists something precious. It’s humanity. Let’s believe in humans and cherish them. Let’s pursue a religion of humanism, a religion without gods. By doing so, I aim to save not only myself but also to respond to the modern trend of people distancing themselves from religion, and the arguments against the necessity of religion and anti-religious arguments.


(Wakimoto) I understand well. So, since this subjectivity and creativity of the self, or the Buddha-nature, is universal, naturally the second article, “I have faith in my neighbour,” and the third, “I have faith in the cooperative society,” emerge. You have faith in the “self” within the neighbour, and the “self” within the cooperative society.


(Imaoka) That’s right. A human cannot be a human on their own. Whether thinking about our immediate needs like clothing, food, and shelter, or considering our spiritual lives, it’s the same. Humans are fundamentally social beings. Therefore, the self, the neighbour, and the cooperative society are fundamentally one. This is what I call my trinity.


(Wakimoto) However, the next article, the fifth, states “I have faith in the unity of life and nature,” so nature comes into play. What is the relationship here?


(Imaoka) It is because humans cannot exist apart from nature. The self, neighbour, and cooperative society all exist within the universe and the vastness of nature, which is essentially the source of our lives. Even thinking about everyday, simple examples, it’s not just fellow humans who become our companions, but also birds, animals, plants, and trees. Normally, it’s said that nature does not have a heart, but isn’t it possible to think that it does? At any rate, we become companions with such birds and flowers. In the teachings of Christ, there’s a lesson to “look at the lilies of the field and the birds of the air.” Also, for instance, I think that sleeping might be a form of returning to nature. When we’re asleep, we are not conscious, which means we don’t exist, making it akin to death, but of course, we’re still breathing, and our heart is beating. Isn’t this one form of returning to nature?


(Wakimoto) So, the “kiitsu” (帰一 “returning to one”) of Kiitsu Kyōkai (帰一教会 “Unity Fellowship” or “Unitarian Church”) means not just that all religions are fundamentally, or ultimately, one — “the unity of all religions” — but also that the self, neighbour, and cooperative society become one. Moreover, it implies becoming one with everything under the heavens and on earth. It’s a word with many connotations, isn’t it?


(Imaoka) It might be a quadunity (四位一体 “shi-i-it-tai”) rather than a trinity (三位一体 “san-i-it-tai”).


(Wakimoto) Such a position is declared in the eighth article, “I have faith in free religion,” but before that, the seventh article states “I have faith in a specific religion.” What does it mean to have faith in both?


(Imaoka) Your confusion is justified. If you say that traditional specific religions are inadequate and that’s why we advocate for a free religion, that’s partly true. However, by “specific religion,” as mentioned here, it primarily refers to Kiitsu Kyōkai. Since Kiitsu Kyōkai is a member of the Japan Free Religious Association (日本自由宗教連盟), it’s undoubtedly a free religion. Yet, in aiming to realize the universal ideals and truths of a free religion that is neither Christianity, Buddhism, nor Shintoism, and which transcends them, we founded Kiitsu Kyōkai. Nevertheless, in practice, various unique aspects manifest, and it inevitably becomes a specific religion. However, universality can only manifest through particularity. Therefore, we have no choice but to create a specific Kiitsu Kyōkai and, through it, seek a universal free religion. Thus, the annotations to the [7th and 8th] statements of faith are: “A specific religion (including the Tokyo Kiitsu Kyokai) neither monopolizes religious truth nor is it the ultimate embodiment of it,” and “While having faith in a specific religion, the endless pursuit and improvement towards universal and ultimate truth is the core of religious life. Such a dynamic religion is called a free religion.”


(Wakimoto) Then, if all these traditional religions move forward with such a mindset, they’re basically practising free religion, wouldn’t you say?


(Imaoka) Yes, that’s right. In fact, organizations like the Japan Free Christian Church (日本自由キリスト教会) led by Pastor Akashi (赤司牧師), and the Shōsei-kai (正誓会) or Shōsei-ji (正誓寺) led by Revd Yamamoto Gen’yō (山本現雄師), all of which are members of this Association, exhibit this characteristic. Even those not affiliated with the Association, but who embrace the attitude of free thought and a free quest for the truth, seem to be surprisingly numerous both within and outside of established religious groups. We refer to them as potential free-religionists.


(Wakimoto) Recently, it seems that religious cooperation and interfaith dialogues, especially on issues like peace, have become popular. This would be genuine only if it’s based on the spirit of free religion, right?


(Imaoka) It is, indeed, commendable that there’s been an increase in interfaith cooperation. However, mere cooperation is not enough. If one maintains the basic idea that ‘my Buddha is the most revered’ and one obstinately clings only to one’s own traditions then, even when gathering together with others, it would amount to nothing more than mere socializing. One should humbly face the reality of one’s own religious group and reflect upon the fact that it does not monopolize the truth and, should, instead, be aiming for a higher truth, acknowledging that this higher truth is something common to all religions. Only when one discusses and pursues this truth can genuine dialogue and cooperation take place.


(Wakimoto) As I have been asking you about various things, I’ve come to feel that your thoughts seem to align with what is termed “pantheism” (汎神論) within religious studies. It seems you believe that everything in this world, be it individual humans or flora and fauna, are manifestations of a certain absolute being (絶対者).


(Imaoka) Yes, that’s right. I lost faith in a personal god (人格神) early on, so in that sense, while it might be blunt to declare [what I am talking about is a kind of] atheism (無神論), saying that doesn’t quite sit right with me. Perhaps it’s similar to how Buddhism and Confucianism are called atheistic, or perhaps pantheistic. My belief is that the revered (尊い), the worship-worthy (拝むべき), exists within humans.


(Wakimoto) Your Kiitsu Kyōkai, from what I understand, doesn’t have impressive facilities like typical churches or temples, and there aren’t any clergy people, such as pastors. You yourself have abandoned the title of “pastor” and maintain a stance as an ordinary member, just like everyone else. Do you reject the distinction commonly made between the sacred world and the secular?


(Imaoka) There might be some meaning in distinguishing the secular from the sacred. However, even within the secular world, I’ve seen many people, be they politicians, business people, scholars, artists, artisans, or farmers, whom I deeply respect. Conversely, I’ve seen many corrupt aspects within the religious world. I’ve come to believe that making a clear distinction between the two based on appearances is a mistake. I genuinely feel that mutual respect and interaction between fellow humans — a kind of “secularism” (俗人主義 lit. “Common-person principle”) — is authentic and inherently democratic.


(Wakimoto) You served as the principal of Seisoku Academy for a long time. What are your thoughts on the relationship between education and religion?


(Imaoka) It was quite some time ago, but when I became a principal, I intended to emphasize religious education and even to set aside a specific time for religious subjects. However, things didn’t seem to go well, and I began to think that teaching religion separately from other subjects might be a mistake. Instead, I came to the realization that religion should be integrated into regular subjects, or rather, true education inherently contains religion. One doesn’t necessarily have to label it as “religion” or even be conscious of imparting religious education. When I speak in this manner, it raises the question of what religion truly is. As [Paul] Tillich once said, if religion is humanity’s ultimate concern, then perhaps the most fundamental concern is to fully realize oneself as a human being. Hence, even without explicitly terming it as “religion,” an education that aims for the realization and completion of humanity becomes in itself religious education. True education is, in essence, religion. I believed that if one commits to the true essence of education with all one’s heart and soul, then there is no need specifically to invite religious figures to deliver their teachings.


(Wakimoto) We don’t have much time left, but finally, in a separate document you wrote as a “Charter” [for the school] it says, “We seek harmony between spirituality and intellect, and reject superstition and fanaticism”  (「霊性と知性 との調和を求め、迷信と狂信を排斥します。」). Could you elaborate on this?


(Imaoka) The conflict between spirituality and intellect is essentially the clash between religion and science. Both are merely two facets of how our mind operates. Naturally, there shouldn’t be any conflict; they should harmonize. When the heliocentric theory emerged, if it’s an unshakeable truth, then religion should harmonize with it. The same goes for the theory of evolution. Stubbornly opposing these things from the standpoint of old traditions is a grave mistake. Even if religion concedes and appears to lose in such debates, it doesn’t affect the essence of religion. On the contrary, it can serve as an opportunity for genuine religion to be purified and elevated.


(Wakimoto) Briefly, could you also speak about eternal life (永遠の生命)?


(Imaoka) If by eternal life (永生), we mean what’s commonly referred to as the immortality of the soul (霊魂不滅), isn’t the only answer that we don’t know because we haven’t tried dying yet? But isn’t it fine not to know such things? What’s more important is how we live our daily lives in this present world, committing to our duties and leading a fulfilling life. I believe that in itself has eternal value, the essence of an indestructible life. Fearing the descent into hell (地獄) or yearning for the happiness of paradise (極楽) and thus believing in religion based on such calculations of gain and loss is a sordid thing, and that itself is a path to hell.


(Shōwa 54, 1974, “Mahoroba” 「まほろば」 )

 

—o0o— 

 

I Believe [have faith] in a Universal Cooperative Society — My Articles of Faith at 100 

(From “Rinri” — No. 384, Special Edition “Search for Faith” [Ethics], 1981)

 

Sources of Learning and Faith

 

I was born into a devout Jodo Shinshu (Buddhist) family in Shimane Prefecture and I was not fed until I prayed before the Buddhist altar. I memorized the “Shoshinge” and the “Gobunsho” (sacred texts) without knowing what they meant.

 

Then I became a Christian when I was in the fourth year of the old style middle school. The fact is, at first, I wanted to learn English conversation and so I attended the school of an English missionary. Later I was baptized when I was attracted by his character and spirituality and had been converted by him. It was in Meiji 30 (1897) that I became a believer in Christianity. This was a time when conversion to Christianity was considered treason and my parents, saying that they were throwing out a Christian from their Shinshu household, just about disinherited me in their fury. Nevertheless, pouring over Uchimura Kanzo’s prophetic book, I boiled over with righteous indignation. But as I progressed through the Kumamoto Fifth High School, my doubts about Christianity gradually increased. Did the Virgin Mary give birth to Christ? Was he resurrected after three days having died on the cross? I began to doubt some of the miracles in the Bible. When I was very troubled about this, I met Ebina Danjo and he said that it is all right if you do not believe the miracles in the Bible, Christ is an ordinary man. But you should believe that there is a God. Professor Ebina’s thinking was based on the teachings of Free Christian churches as distinct from so-called orthodox Christianity. This teaching saved me.

 

At the University (Tokyo Imperial University), I chose the philosophy department. Professor Anesaki Masaharu, who was lecturing for the first time on “The Study of Religion,” made a great impression on me. The professor’s very first lecture was on “Mysticism.” He commented broadly on the mystical aspects of various religions in a profoundly interesting manner. Professor Anesaki was a Buddhist but he had also studied Christianity. I was surprised to hear him express his religious attitude so lucidly, “Because I am a Buddhist, I am a Christian, and because I am a Christian, I am a Buddhist.” And so my eyes were once again opened to Buddhism.

 

It was during my university days that I admired Professor Tsunashima Ryosen. The professor was an exceptional philosopher and a logician. On the occasion of his illness, he achieved a deep religious experience which he announced in the journal, “New Person,” under the title of “An Actual Experience of Seeing God.” His was a vivid religious experience of the union of God and himself in the heart of the universe. This can be seen as a broad religious insight transcending Christianity and Buddhism. This article affected me greatly and taught me much. 

 

Lessons from Disqualifying Myself as a Pastor

 

After graduating from the university, I became the pastor of the Hyogo Christian Church, thanks to Professor Ebina’s recommendation. However, my doubts grew about how Christianity should be practised and I gradually lost confidence in carrying out my duties as pastor. About that time I met Nishida Tenko. It was before he established Ittō-en. 

 

I should comment that the religious people I had met up to that time were all living in another world. They were Buddhist or Zen and some were Christian. They seemed to be practicing literally the teaching of the Sermon on the Mount. “Do not think about tomorrow. Don’t worry about life and the economy. Above all, first seek the morality of the Kingdom of God.”

 

Tenko-san taught, “Give up egotism.” As a minister I believed that it was my mission as a Christian to teach and lecture, to resent and deplore the corruption of society, to criticize the decline of my superiors and to save sinful society. But in Tenko-san’s view, this was no more than egotism. “I indeed am correct. Therefore, I will be saved.” Throw away the “I.” Then one must become ego-less. He thought that the universe will become one’s world if, by first cleaning the detestable toilets of other people, one does away with the self. This teaching of Tenko-san’s was shocking. At the same time the vacillation in my way of life was foolish, and I could not make up my mind to leave the ministry. But soon I could not go on.

 

There are some very exceptional points about Buddhism, so isn’t it wrong to convert Buddhists to Christianity? I came to think that the real missionary work to do among Buddhists and Shintoists is rather to convert them to be true Buddhists and true Shintoists. So then I left the ministry after three years, and once more endeavoured to redo my research. Since this was in 1910, I was 29 years old.

 

Arriving at “Free Religion”

 

Returning to Tokyo, I did meditation with Professor Okada Torajiro. This was recommended by Tenko-san. There was a meditation group every morning from 6 to 7 at the Buddhist temple, Hongyoji, in Nippori. I went there every morning. Professor Okada taught us, “Breathe correctly with correct posture and meditation will make you one with the universe.” He also said, “My method of meditation is basically the same as Master Dogen’s Zen meditation method.” The fact that I was able to take private lessons from Professor Okada during the remaining seven years of his life was a vital force in my life. I continued to practise meditation thereafter, and even now do not neglect it, so that it is my only discipline.

 

Later, from 1914 through 1915, my esteemed master, Professor Anesaki Masaharu, lectured at Harvard University on the history of Japanese culture, and thanks to the professor’s good offices, I accompanied him as an assistant and I was fortunate to be able to study religion and philosophy there.

 

Upon my return to Japan, I was invited by Nihon University, and for sixteen years I lectured on Christian thought and religious history. Then in 1925, I became principal of Seisoku Academy. I continued to work in that capacity for fifty years, a half century, until I was 92.

 

During that period, I enjoyed a close relationship with Mr. [Joseph Warren Teets] Mason, an American newspaperman who prided himself on being a Shintoist. Starting in 1932, we conducted Shinto research, and for ten years we prayed at Shinto shrines throughout the nation and visited Shintoists as well. Up until that time, I had thought that Shinto was simply superstition, the residue of a mere primitive religion. But thanks to the stimulation of the foreigner, Mason, my concept of Shinto was uprooted and I came to understand the exceptional ideas that lay behind Shinto and their modern significance.

 

In this way, in the course of continuing my research, I whose religious awareness started with my becoming a Christian, no longer believed in Christianity exclusively. Nor did I feel that I could profess to be a Buddhist or a Shintoist exclusively. In other words, it seems best to say that at the same time I am a Christian and a Buddhist and a Shintoist. Another way of putting it is that my faith is Free Religion without any restriction whatsoever.

 

Human Beings Are Really Gods

 

The word “religion” infers that one must believe in God. In fact, the relationship between God and man is a definition of religion. However, there are many people in the world who say that they do not know whether there is or is not a God.

 

As for myself, it used to be that I thought there was a God, but now I cannot imagine that there exists a God in the traditional sense. Rather it is closer to “God has died” (Nietzsche). Nowadays I must oppose the idea of God completely, even in its representations. So in my house there is no Buddhist or Shinto altar.

 

But on the other hand, every human being has religious feeling. I think that so-called religious needs are fundamental and universal elements of humanity. These have taken different forms depending on various environmental factors such as history and climate. There is a certain significance in this, but I think there is only one basis that I want to emphasize.

 

Putting aside the question of the so-called God, and considering I am a human being, I attempted to gather together those things that have value in which I have faith — in the form of “My Principles of Living” (私の生活信条) These are in five parts.

 

The first one is “I have faith in myself.” This means that even if one says there is a God somewhere, rather than depend on this, one should first believe in the essence of one’s self, and then go on to realize this self. That is, it is the act of establishing one’s self. The “self” in this case is not the self that satisfies earthly desires. It is not the self that is a slave to material things and the flesh. It is the self that has the autonomy for becoming one’s own hero. Moreover, it is the vigorous self or “creativity” which is constantly trying to progress and improve. It is the self that strives for “unity” and is not isolated from society. The kind of “self” that I believe in makes me feel that life is worth living. To put it in other words, I believe in a sacred quality inside the self. One can think of it as “essential being” or “character” or “divinity” or “Buddhahood.” Since it is common in religion to express the idea that man is a child of sin and to reject the self, it may seem that what I am saying is contradictory. But in the present day, when the idea of “no god” is prevalent, the absence of God in my concept would be exalted. My basic idea is that we should value the human being and believe in the human being. Perhaps we can call this faith in humanism or a religion without God. With this kind of inquiry, I do not only save myself but I can also respond to the modern tendency of alienation from religion and the various arguments for no religion and against religion.

 

Universal Cooperative Society

 

My second tenet of faith in life is “I have faith in other people.” Other people after all represent the autonomy, the creativity and the unitive elements in other people. When I say “other people” I mean that I believe in the “self” that is in my neighbours, assuming that my neighbours possess that “self” also. Putting aside the self and other people, let us believe in true humanity.

 

Next is my third tenet, “I have faith in a Cooperative Society.” While the self and other people have a certain unique individual character, they are not at all isolated or have a separate existence. By reason of being unique they sprout true mutual reliance, true unity and true love of humanity; thus, they establish a “cooperative society.”

 

One human being does not make humankind. This is so even when we consider an individual’s food, clothing and shelter. So the three elements, the self, others and a cooperative society are separate and distinct. Each one has a relationship which actually includes the others. That is to say, these three can be thought of as basically being three-in-one.

 

Having established this, we come to the fourth tenet, “I have faith in a Universal Cooperative Society.” The self, the others, and the cooperative society which are three elements in one are “human society.” This alone is not enough. There is something missing. When we think about it, the self, others and a cooperative society all exist because of the universe or nature. Humankind cannot exist apart from nature. That is the basis of our life. I would also like to establish that not only human society but also the heavens, the earth, nature and all the universe are one community (a cooperative society). Animals and plants, the moon and the sun, the air and the water, everything, are in one cooperative society. That is what “Universal Cooperative Society” expresses.

 

Thus, inevitably, we cannot stop with having faith in and embracing all humanity, we must also embrace and make companions of birds and beasts, and plants and trees. There is the biblical proverb, “Behold the lilies of the field . . . behold the birds in the heavens. . .” The “Universal Cooperative Society” is composed of the unity of humanity and nature, and the merging of human society with all the universe. I think it is appropriate to think of this as the fourth tenet.

 

Not the End of Search for Truth

 

Finally, I add the fifth tenet, “I have faith in the church.” In this case “church” can mean a temple or a shrine or anything of that kind, or a specific denomination or organization or group. All are included in the term of “church.” Each possesses certain special characteristics but just as universality does not manifest itself unless some special characteristics are in evidence, some starting point is necessary. So the term “church” is used to refer to these various entities.

 

Thus, as we comprehend the mystery of a particular church, we can understand the ultimate truth of nature and the universe. A church can be called a microcosm of the universal cooperative society. So people can become universal beings by being members of a church. This is why I have added this tenet.

 

However, I do not wish to think that these tenets of faith in life are conclusive. I think that they are provisional in the sense that when we reflect further we will see possible revisions. I became 103 on September 16, 1984, but human life has no final point. I believe that there is no graduation from the University of Life. My “Principles of Living” are like working principles in the University of Life.

 

My attitude towards life is to grasp and realize the mystery and the ideals, not only of religion, but also of all human activity. 

 

 

o0o— 

 

My Principles of Living revised (tentative)
[
私の生活信条 再改訂 (暫定)]
September 1981


1) I affirm (言ずるizuru) myself
I am aware of my own autonomy, creativity, and sociability (社会性 shakaisei), and feel the worth of living in life (生きがい ikigai) through them. Autonomy, creativity, and sociability can also be referred to as personality, divinity, and Buddha-nature, respectively.

2) I affirm others (他者 ta-sha)
Others are neighbours
(隣人 rin-jin) who possess their own selves as others. By affirming myself, I inevitably affirm others.

3) I affirm the cooperative society (共同社会)
Neither self nor others exist in isolation or self-sufficiency; instead, they inevitably establish a mutual dependency, solidarity, and a cooperative society.

4) I affirm the trinity of self, others, and cooperative society
 The self, others, and the cooperative society, while each possessing unique individualities, unite into one. Therefore, there is no precedence or superiority among them; each always presupposes the other two.

5) I affirm the universal cooperative society (宇宙的共同社会uchūteki kyōdō shakai)
The trinity of self, others, and the cooperative society further unites with heaven and earth and all things, to form a universal cooperative society.

6) I affirm the church (教会)

The church is a microcosm of the universal cooperative society. I can only be myself by being a member of the church.

Addendum: I interpret the above faith as jiyū shūkyō (自由宗教) [free-religion or a creative, free-spirituality] and, as a Free Religionist (自由宗教人 jiyū shūkyōjin), together with my companions, I belong to the Tokyo Kiitsu Kyokai (東京帰一教会), the Japan Free Religion Association (日本自由宗教連盟), and the International Association for Freedom of Religion. However, jiyū shūkyō (自由宗教) [free-religion or a creative, free-spirituality] is neither opposed to established religions nor does it seek to integrate them. Instead, it aims to grasp and realize the essence and ideals, not only of various religions, but also across all human activities. Therefore, these principles are nothing other than the attitude of life I always wish to constantly to maintain.


(September 1981)

Comments

Popular Posts